Table for One, Please

Well, I think I've finally made it. I just completed my final hotel site inspection this afternoon and this hotel is just fine for our group, meaning that this should be the last time I have to board a plane for a few months. This trip should also mark the last time I have to eat in a restaurant by myself for a while.

I used to always order room service when I traveled alone, but that too gets really old (plus it's really expensive!). So, I finally ventured out in my comfort zone and began eating dinner in actual restaurants. Not sure what to do with yourself while dining alone? I've listed a few tips that I've picked up along the way that might be helpful to all of you lonely travelers the next time you request a table for one.

5. It's smart to bring a book or sit by a window. It's very important to look busy or occupied with your own business, or at least look uninterested in what everyone else is doing. Nothing appears more pathetic than sitting at a table alone and looking around the room at everyone else talking and laughing.

4. No one really cares that you're alone. This holds especially true in airport and hotel restaurants, as many business people travel alone and therefore eat alone in these locations. I used to think everyone would stare at me as I dined by myself. It's quite the opposite; most people don't pay any attention. However, if you do notice people watching you, you're already breaking rule No. 1.

3. Don't order any food that's difficult to eat. There are few things more awkward than eating some messy meal that could leave sauce on your chin or food in your lap. Before you know it you're picking up food off your pants and wiping your chin and muttering to yourself, and then people are staring at you and you've broken rule No. 1 again.

2. Go pee before you sit down to eat. You can't just get up and go to the bathroom, leaving an empty table, when you're dining alone. Learned that one just this afternoon!

1. Treat yourself. You've flown across the country and you're eating supper by yourself. How pathetic are you?! At least order the swordfish or the steak and forget about your waistline (or in my case your butt line) for five seconds. By golly, you deserve a good meal.

Well, there you have it folks. I doubt this article will make the next issue of Travel and Leisure, but it's sound advice that I've personally put to the test. Happy (solitary) eating!

2 comments:

jessica said...

I remember people coming in to Outback solo when I worked there and even though I knew they were on business I couldn't help but feel sorry for them.

On the other hand, down the road a few years when you have children and you don't even get to go to the bathroom by your self you will look back and remember how glorious those solo moments were.

Shane Coffman said...

You've been tagged...

(Hope you guys are doing great!)