BIG Changes (for me, anyway)

I haven't been in the mood to blog. I think its because my brain is exhausted from over processing everything lately - especially everything work-related.

I have made the choice to change jobs in a big way. About a month or so ago I noticed a posting for an adjunct instructor for a PR class at UCO (my alma mater). I have a good relationship with one of the professors listed as a contact, so I e-mailed her. She encouraged me to apply. Long story short, I got the job. The job was originally going to be teaching two classes - one on Tuesday/Thursday and one on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I had decided that if the job was two classes, I would leave Express (where I've worked since before I graduated college!) to adjunct and freelance write and speech write. I've served as our executive speechwriter for a few years now, and have found that I have a talent for it, and there are very few speechwriters in Oklahoma City. (Oh, and please don't use this blog to size up my writing abilities. After you write all day long, you just want to be lazy when writing for fun!)

So, last week I gave my notice. This week it has all finally sunk in. I'm leaving a job I've worked at for over seven years. A job I mostly love with co-workers who are some of my dearest friends. Thankfully my last day isn't until July 31st.

This week I also learned that UCO hit a "bump in the road" and I would now be teaching one class instead of two. I was slightly disappointed, but if you know adjuncting you know it doesn't pay much at all, so I figured my time would best be spent freelancing anyway, and that one class is okay.

And now I'm thinking, "Oh crap! What was I thinking?" Well, sort of. I prayed a lot about this job and I really feel this is what I'm meant to do. I have a few very solid contacts who said they will outsource work to me. And then I have several others that I need to follow up with and let them know my plans.

I have always been very stability driven, so the thought of not knowing where my next paycheck will be coming from is a bit unnerving. However, it's also exciting, and both teaching PR and writing will definitely keep me motivated to network, learn, and grow. Plus, Chris and I have managed our finances well enough that we're okay if it takes me a while to get things established and become profitable.

Sooo, I'll be spending the next six to eight weeks scrambling to figure out a solid plan for my future and developing my version of a Public Information Methods course. Please pray for me! Oh, and did I mention I will get to wear pants to work for the first time in my professional career? That's just icing on the cake.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Congratulations on your new opportunity! I think you will make an excellent professor.
Praying for you.

Julie said...

Thanks! I need the prayers!