The Phenomena of MySpace


MySpace is an unbelievably popular way for people of all ages to communicate and stay in touch now days. I used to think it was for teenagers. Boy was I wrong! After learning that one could search for old schoolmates, I decided to check it out. I couldn't believe how many people my age and older who I went to school with have a site on MySpace. It's like a virtual high school reunion! Who married who, who has kids, who looks totally different and who hasn't changed at all.

But, I still don't get the appeal of all the "friends" and the bios and the messages. Maybe it's because I've never been a very social person. I've always preferred having a few close friends than many good acquaintances. I have trouble staying in touch with the few friends I have; in fact, I really don't have any good friends outside of family, work and church.

I wonder if MySpace is a fad, if it will go the way of the chat rooms that were popular when I was in high school. Or will MySpace continue to evolve and more and more users will continue to log on? I'm not sure, but I do know it's not for me.

0 comments: