No Television for One Month?

Friday night I proposed to Chris that we go without television (in our home) for one month. After all, I don't really watch much of it anyway. And Chris usually just watches re-runs of movies we've seen numerous times (lately its been Clear and Present Danger and Braveheart) and UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) episodes (groan). I don't usually watch movies more than once. Chris is content to watch them over and over. I always tease him about it, asking, "Hey, maybe this time Braveheart will escape from the gallows and kill the enemy. Do you think?" He grits his teeth.

Anyhow, the point is I have it on for background noise and Chris just watches stuff I don't want to watch, so we decided to make a go of it. So far, so good. Not to say we haven't been tempted already. I guess Chris tried to turn it on yesterday, but I had unplugged it so that we would have to make a conscious decision to go against our resolution, so he didn't end up watching it after all.

So far I miss it most when I'm sitting down to give Hudson a bottle or like now, when Chris is outside and Hudson is asleep, and watching a re-run of House or some other show in peace sounds kinda nice.

I don't know if we'll make a month. I hope so. If we do make it a month, we'll probably seriously think about cancelling our Dish, which for some reason I hate to do even if we aren't watching TV. Strange, huh? When you go without TV and then consider really going without TV, you realize what a staple television is in your life. It's comforting knowing that I can turn on The Wiggles or watch Dateline even if I don't want to. That bugs me even more. Why is television so important in our lives?

I hope by the end of the month (if we make it) we'll stay in the habit of very little to hardly any television..more reading and quiet time. We'll have to see.

4 comments:

melissa said...

i used to have the television on almost constantly as background noise - for years it was tuned to food network or hgtv, but i never actually sit down and watch something. then after i had aislinn, i noticed how she would stop what she was doing and zone out at the tv. that put a quick stop to it! now i never turn it on during the day unless it's to listen to the music channels. i don't miss it at all.

jessica said...

that's funny Amy is doing the same thing next month!

Tamara said...

Last month we had our Dish network turned off! Nothing as noble as your situation. Our satilite was messed up & Bill called to get it repaired, they were going to charge us $50.00. Bill argued with them about it being "their" satillite, they agreed not to charge us for the repair, but by then he was so mad--he told them to turn it off!!! So we have cut our television viewing tremedously! (Bill's been so desperate he has accually even watched Dancing With the Stars!Ha! Ha!)

Tamara said...

I know what you mean about wanting satilite even if you don't watch TV. Since we had our Dish Network turned off, I thought why do we have this land line for $39.00 a month? We never us it, except for an occasional fax. So, we gave up our telephone number we had had for 30 years! I really struggled with that! Change is hard sometimes even when it makes sense!